Casting a line from California

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Keith L, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Keith L

Keith L Fresh Chum

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the waters Blue Chum. Good luck with this endeavor. Fishermen are as fickle as the weather and tides.

The fishing club I'm in has tried Yahoo Groups (goes back to 1998) and several other Forum boards to get our band of about 100 paying fishermen on the web to share. It's been hit and miss. Our most recent one is working to share scientific fish tracking data. (grant funding involved re California Halibut sexting/size info) And we are on Facebook too with some users... See if you can find "Marina Del Rey Anglers fishing club" on there.

But the reality is you need a much bigger audience. Hope you find it. Hope that they come and share.

Currently our little fishing club needs to get the word out is on a Crowd Source Funding effort. A little bit from a lot of folks can do a LOT of good. See https://www.crowdrise.com/mdr-fishpens for our White Seabass fish rearing pen rebuilding fund raiser. Or go to Crowdrise . com and search for "Seabass"

Best of luck. Getting the fishermen onto this site will require a lot of chum (attractiveness) that will bring a LOT of eyeballs to this site.

There are a lot of fishermen and fisherwomen out there. Just looking at the tip of the Iceberg of Southern California fishing enthusiasts you can see the mobs at the Fred Hall Fishing and Sportsman shows. Out of that a very small fraction attends the MDR Halibut Derby in Marina Del Rey or the Troutfest up in Big Bear.

Keith <"><
    in Los Angeles

• Like Like x 1
  2. blue chummer

blue chummer Chief Chummer Staff

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Welcome Keith
    thank you for Joining. I am also based in Ca(San Diego area) though my roots are from the NE where I started my saltwater endeavors .

Forums take years to get a solid following. This website is starting out as a forum but will be gradually expanding. Our goal is to make this the go to place for saltwater anglers to get and receive information as well as enjoying the site itself. It won't be easy. Many of the other sites have a 10 + years head start on us. But with good content, strong goals and dedication, I am sure we can make this site a fun success.

Your fishing club and crowd funding project sound and look fantastic. I just checked out the website and FB page. Helping the local fisheries as well as other fisherman is a welcome ideal.

thanks again for checking in! Keep in touch,

Andre

3. Keith L

Keith L Fresh Chum

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    BTW it has been the best fishing season in almost 17 years here in the So Cal bite.
    Marlin, Dorado, Yellowtail, Tuna etc. and even a few Wahoo and Blue marlin in US waters of of the Southern California Coast.

The old Tuna Club had some members that were waiting for this run of fish so they could get their "Button" fish and become full members in that august fishing club.

4. blue chummer

blue chummer Chief Chummer Staff

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hi Keith. Yes its been a epic year. From going on my friends boat out of Mission Bay, and even crushing fish on my sailboat in the coronado canyon , its been nuts.
    Had some great overnight and 1.5 day trips as well as an incredible 6 day on the Red Rooster. I think the warm water may stay with us for awhile. We are the new Cabo :)